Royalty and romance: aren’t these at the heart of every union? It’s no wonder that the fairytale wedding — also known as “Happily Ever After” or “Dreams Do Come True,” to name just two — never goes out of fashion.

Spotlight on the Princess Bride

Walking down the aisle to a fantasy wedding theme means that as this type of bride, you can go all out. That might mean a voluminous ballgown from Lazaro or Mary’s Bridal Princess Collection, complete with petticoat … or a design modeled after a particularly beloved princess from Kirstie Kelly for Disney’s Fairy Tale Weddings.

But even when the gown is an A-line with a sleeker silhouette, fairytale brides usually go for a substantial veil, floor-length or longer.

The hair’s often a half or full updo, but formally styled, dripping with romantic ringlets. And the shoes? Never an afterthought, they’re something deliciously feminine, strappy and sparkly (though you can even walk down the aisle in clear ‘glass’ slippers).

And if you want the full-out princess look, straight from the pages of an oversized storybook? Add opera-length gloves, a tiara and a sparkly rhinestone choker.

Dressing The Royal Retinue

Bridesmaids, as often as not, are wearing something with at least at a touch of pink! A string of pearls makes a treasured gift for each of your girls. But what about the men? American grooms find it hard to look past the black tux, which fortunately looks stunning next to a princess bride. But a white tuxedo has a bit more fairytale flavor, and it’s worth considering.

Sure, no man one wants to look like a fashion victim fresh from prom, but Calvin Klein and Jean Yves Formalwear offer some elegant choices that just might put to rest any Prince Charming’s qualms about style faux pas.

Shop Fairytale Wedding Favors

The Honour Of Your Presence Is Requested …

Just because you’re having a fairytale wedding doesn’t mean your invites need to sport castles, but they should be something special. Just choose an elegant, timeless font and style (letterpress is always a gorgeous option). Or go custom: you can never go wrong with beautiful ribbon to wrap up a made-just-for-you pocketfold design, with a few quality rhinestones placed by hand.

Setting the Scene

Like other fantasy weddings, the fairytale wedding starts with draping, and lots of it: draped walls, head tables, cake tables, sweetheart tables, you name it. Luxurious linens are the name of the game.

In addition, this theme pretty much determines where you’ll hold the reception: a ballroom. (Unless, that is, you’re lucky enough to be able to book an actual castle, or live near one of America’s castle-style buildings.)

5a4156982f175232eeb4e960932fad90

Shop Fairytale Wedding Favors

Fortunately, a good ballroom will do some of the decorating work for you: look for regal curtains, dramatic molding and sparkly chandeliers.

A fairytale wedding is not the place for humble, easy-to-talk across centerpieces. Here, you need the drama that only height and heft provide. Go for towering eiffel vases filled with dramatic fantasy foral arrangements, leggy topiaries, or tall clear cylinders wrapped in satin ribbon and filled with floating candles.

Other ingredients in your toolbox: lots of silver (candelabras, silver cake plateaus), plenty of pinks, classical symbols (swan or double-swan ice sculptures are perfect here), and pearl or rhinestone accents as brooches or bouquet ornaments.

Also: sparkling monogrammed cake toppers, whimsical “I DO” letters for the cake table, and buckets and buckets of rose petals. Plus, every princess bride needs a really cute card box, whether it be a magic pumpkin or a sassy hot-pink hat box. A giant Storybook guest book would be a cute touch, too.

fairytale montage

Roses for a Rose

Flowers for fairytale weddings tend to the traditional side. Occasionally you’ll see exotic orchids, but mostly what fairytale brides prefer (in bouquets, especially) are classical choices like roses, peonies and stephanotis. If carrying a hand-tied bouquet, she might have crystal bouquet picks, or choose the larger cascading style.

Plenty of flowers are key for pulling off the fairytale look, but don’t overlook the important of candles for setting the mood. Keep them simple, but group large masses together for maximum effect. Floating candles in clear cylinders offer more of a visual punch than regular votives.

Shop Fairytale Wedding Favors

A Fashionable Entrance

Drama’s essential to a fantasy wedding, so plot out your high points. Find a way to make a grand entrance at the ceremony or reception: a spiral staircase and spotlighting, page boys, or a trumpeter. Take the time to learn a romantic waltz with your Prince Charming and throw in a few stylistic surprises, so all eyes stay glued to you through your first dance.

Outfit your guests with beautiful paper cones they can use to shower you with rose petals as you leave the church (another popular choice is sparklers). Travel from church to reception venue via horse-drawn carriage … or even pumpkin carriage, available in several metro areas.

A Royal Repast

Fortunately for your guests, Cinderella food means elegant ‘comfort food’: cream sauces, poached mushrooms and wine. Consider Oysters Rockefeller, and a roast beef carving station. For a touch of the country squire, serve crispy roast duck or Cornish game hens, and plenty of champagne.

The Sweet Strains of Love

A bit of intimate floor music will really set the mood, so see about booking a harpist or string quartet, at least during the ceremony or dinner. Later on, ask the DJ to queue up a few songs from Disney’s Cinderella or Beauty and the Beast soundtrack albums. Other soundtracks with tunes worth a spin: The Princess Bride, Shrek, Anna & The King, and Ever After: A Cinderella Story.

The easiest way to create a website for your wedding. Create your site at Weebly.com! Shop Monogram Gifts & More

867 Responses

1. Florida Beach Bride

I am having a creative dilemma. We are getting married at the beach next September and I want to mix the following themes: Cinderella-ish, Aqua (Tiffany blue) with pearls and diamond sparkle, and starfish. We are getting married on the sand and then walking up to our fave restaurant for the reception which will be on an open deck overlooking the beach. Any suggestions on how to do this (or if it can be done)?

Florida beach Bride,
      * I think this may help!
      * or this

• Florida Beach Bride

Oh wow! These are amazing! Will definitely be using some of these ideas! Thank you so much.

2. Anna G

Hi,
    OK here’s my dilemma I want to have a fairytale theme I’m getting married the last week of march and I’m still confused about the the colors to use since is gonna be on spring i would love to give it and romantic still elegant look i have no idea what colors to choose 😥 i know i love silver…any suggestions PLEASE. Thanks in advance

Anna,
      Apologies your post hasn’t been answered! Could I get a look at your venue also what are some colors you like? Have you thought about a simple white and silver wedding? Nothing says fairytale like white and silver.
      * check out these pics. have the guys in black and the girls in silver or black or brown and you have a timeless, romantic, elegant wedding
      * look at these tablesettings, simple, unfussy, elegant.

3. Katie

I am getting married 08/13/11 in a castle. I have the horse drawn carraige, butlers, fireworks and all! Im all about sparkle and will have lots of lights and candles. I am absolutely clueless as to theme and color combinations. I need all the help i can get! Please advice!!!!

Katie,
      Could I see your venue link or pic? Thanks!

Katie,
        Stunning venue. I noticed that brides use alot of red at the location. It seems to be a pretty neutral decor, like cream walls etc. You can go with your fave color. I think jewel tones or a romantic shade liek pink would be beautiful.
        * look at this

Katie,
        * this is pretty
        * this is gorgeous!!!
        * look thru these

• Katie

Stacey!

Thank you so much for all of you time and help! I love what you have shown me and that def gives me ideas. My fiance is fond of blue. We thought of a navy blue, with a liter blue and ivory with silver sparkle accents last night. With the theme of, And they live happily ever after. As i look through these i love what i see. What do you think?

Katie,
        it sounds beautiful!!

4. ciria

hi stacy,
    im getting married aug 2011 and am planning to have a fairy tale theme.. Prior to actually decided on the theme i had picked colors.. i love the colors sage, chocolate brown and champagne.. are those good colors to work with for a fairy tale theme? please advise

Ciria,
      Yes that would actually be beautiful and elegant.l

• sara

These colors would look great with a fairy tale theme. I was going to do the fairy tale theme with different shades of pink orange and coral but Im Ive changed the theme to butterfly princess for a spring wedding. congrats on getting married god bless

5. Candice

My wedding is Oct 2011 and I’ve decided to do a Cinderella theme. I wanted to do something different with the pumpkin theme you always see at fall weddings. My dilemma is now the colors. I originally wanted to have a berry color but with this theme plan now I’m not sure what to do. I think of blue when I think of Cinderella but don’t think that light blue would be good for a fall wedding. Any advice on what colors to use in the fall? Maybe a medium shade of pink? Help please!!

Candice,
      Could I get a look at your venue? So I can see what colors can be used.

Candice,
        I think sticking with berry and an array of pinks would be very pretty in this setting.
        * shades of pink wedding
        * this is so pretty!

candice,
        * real wedding

Candice,
        * real wedding 2
        *real wedding 3
        * real wedding 4

• Candice

Thank you so much Stacey! I love the pink and raspberry 🙂 Your feedback is very much appreciated.
        I really liked some pictures I’ve seen where balloons have been used to look like the pumpkin carriage. If I use this idea should I use cream instead of white since it’s fall? Along with pink balloons of course.

Thanks
        Candice

Candice,
        You can use either white or cream. It depends on your preference. I do love ivory or cream with raspberry and pink.

6. Theresa

My wedding is in July 2011 in Texas. I have circled back to a fairytale theme so many times! I want it to come off modern and classy though, not too cheesy. My gown is ivory with a very full skirt and elaborate embroidery in the train and bodice. I was thinking light blue or teal, gold and ivory/cream as my colors. Having a hard time tying it all together and picturing it though! I want the theme to start as early as my save-the-dates which go out in a few weeks. Help!
    Theresa

Theresa,
      Did you want yur colors to to compliment your dress?
      * look at this, this is stunning!
      * here is another look

• Theresa

Yes, I’m wanting my gown to be very inspirational to the theme/colors. I love the second link! The cake actually reminds me of my dress and I love the candlestick centerpieces and chandeliers. The sprigs of blue in the bouquet was precious. Thank you! 💡

7. Nikki

Hi,
    I really need help. I’ve looked at all the comments and saw that a lot of people are using different shades of pink…I’m having a fairytale wedding in dec. (not this year) But my favorite color is red..What shades can i mix with red that would look like a fairytale wedding????????But not look like christmas????? I need ideas for everything??The only sure thing i know is dec…fairytale.. and fav color is Red…Please help 😮 😮

Nikki,
      What other colors do you like? Also what does your venue look like?

• Robyn

Nikki,
      I used red,lime green and brown for my Disney wedding. Red looks great with more colours then you might think. Go to the hardware store and look at paint chips! Start with the red you like the best and then pick out several other colours you like (they do not need to be ones you “think” will go with your red). Hold each colour next to the red and work from there. You can take the paint chips with you as you shop for your wedding.

I think a Robin’s egg blue and white would look stunning with the red for a winter wedding!!!

Enjoy your planning!

Robyn

8. [email protected]

Brides,
    For a different twist on a Cinderella/Fairytale wedding. What about Marie Antoinette? The decor is luxurious and classy. It can still maintain that Cinderella vibe too. I made a new board to show how these two can blend effortlessly!

9. mills884

I ‘am having a fairytale wedding on December 11th and my boyfriend was in the navy but, had to take a honorable discharge to care for his two boys when they were little due to his ex wife. I ‘am so proud of him being a veteran that I wanted to add something in the wedding as memorable moments and was wondering what? I don’t know their song either or don’t know how to get in touch with any other people who was in the navy with him. That would be so perfect to know his friends. we are also having a horse and carriage ride from the church to reception. My boyfriend thinks that I’am being silly about Navy issue but I think It’s his pride…

• NITA

hello mills,
      i agree with u its always nice to bring memories of good times in the past into big days like your wedding. maybe u shoud visit any of their offices around you and ask about them or search on the net for fun games done by navy officers

• MaryAnn

Check military.com there is a webring that a lot of the vets and current military uses to find each other…kinda like the military FaceBook. I absolutely think you should do it!!! That is who your new husband IS!!!!! Include it in his special day too!!! He will thank you for it when he gets older!!!!!!!

P.S. wish I was doing your carriage!!!!!

MaryAnn
      MaryAnn’s Country

10. Mary Anne

hi, i’m planning to have a fairy tale wedding, my color combinations would be purple & hot pink, do you think it is a perfect fit?

Mary Anne,
      *purple and hot pink work.

• NITA

yeh its a nice combination but u have to mix it well or else it would look too busy and bright. you should also try and add white to tone down the colours cos they are both bright.wish u luck and would try and send u pictures of possible combinations.

11. Sly

hi stacey,

i’m planning on having a modern fairytale theme for my wedding…its going to be on december 2010 so hopefully i still have time…but my colors are emerald green and gold. will this color combination be ok for a december modern fairytale wedding? please help. thanks..hope to hear from you soon.

Sly 😀

• [email protected] ideas

Sly,
      That sounds absolutely stunning. I think that would work soooo well. Youcould even use a emerald and champagne. Use loads of white florals in cylinder vases with golden confetti in bottom and flaoting candles or gold candelabras. You could go alot of ways with this. Golden shimmery branches would look amazing incylinders! Then surround by votives.

12. [email protected] Ideas

Brides,
    A new fairytale board rustic style.

13. Jessica

Hi yes I am planning a princess Fairytale themed Wedding Summer of 2011, I would like to get an opinion on my color scheme, I plan on using,ivory, a palate of pinks, and trimmings in gold. Also is I could get a referral on a legit site to order all my princess/cinderella like items, such as favors, decor, and guest book??

• [email protected] Ideas

Jessica,
      For anything fairytale related-google search and google image cinderella wedding for loads of pics/links.
      * this is gorgeous!

14. crissy

Hi I’m thinking of cinderella theme wedding in Dec.2010 would it be weird to choose a hot pink dress for me the bride :thinking: :thinking:

• [email protected] Ideas

Crissy,
      When I think of those colors I think of Gwen Stephani’s ombre wedding dress that looked like it was dipped in pink. beautiful. Hot pink is beautiful and if you are not a traditional bride then go for it! But I love the softer look of a paler pink or a white dress with the faded pink.
      * like this one

15. Sara

I want to have a princess themed wedding in april 2011 but the colors i want are coral pink and aqua blue. Do you think this would work or should i try different colors ( i dont want any original disney princess colors) please help…. :thankyou:

• [email protected] Ideas

Sara,
      Yes it is very beautiful!
      * look at this real wedding, it is a stunner!

• LaSharra

I think your colors will work perfect together. Because they are very beautiful colors for that time of year. And as long as your favors, decorations,etc is princess themed it will work out just fine. My fairy-tale wedding is in Nov 2010 and my colors are aqua blue, truffle with white as my accent color. And my decor and favors is making my wedding exactly what I wanted “Fairy-Tale”. So its really up to you. I say go for it. Good Luck. 😀

16. tiffany

im getting married in a castle, in october !!! so of course im doing a fairy tale theme. i dont know what to give as favors, i really dont want to do food. any ideas ??

Tiffany,
      Candles would be great, in simple organza bags. A fun little twist would be to give a simple rose to each woman and little girl and have someone bow and say M’Lady. Or something from back in the day. Some small tree favors, since a fairytale is happily ever after and would be remembered “forever”. This would be something to plant when home and would fit in with the medieval/renaissance era.

• tiffany

i love thae tree idea !!! thats so great thank you !!

17. lilly

hi,

i want to have a fairy-tale themed wedding on May 2011 with the color combination of hot pink, light pink, and silver but my designer suggested hot pink and yellow instead because light pink would look bland under the lights. my question is, if i use hot pink and yellow, would i still be able to pull off a fairy-tale theme? any ideas? thanks!

18. lilly

hi,

i just spoke to a designer regarding my wedding colors for may 2011. he suggested hot pink and yellow combination instead of my first option (hot pink, light pink, silver)…do you think i’d still be able to pull off a fairy tale theme with hot pink and yellow?? any ideas? thanks! =)

Lilly,
      What I would do is different shades of pink from light to deep. Hot pink and yellow would work but if you are looking for something a little softer then go with what youlove. I highly recommend you stick to the colors you have in your mind if that is what you have always dreamed of( as long as it compliments your venue). When I think fairytale I think soft romantic colors. Almost cotton candy like colors.
      * here is a pic of hot pink yellow orange it is gorgeous!

Lilly,
        * here is what I was thinking see how it works with the silver
        * again the mix of colors,

* you might like this

lilly,
        *there are no words…..

lilly,
        * look at this
        * another wedding

lilly,
        *this is really pretty

• lilly

thanks a lot stacey…they sure gave me a lot of ideas! =)

• lilly

yea i thought i’d go with my original idea too….he just sort of discouraged me in the beginning which made me feel like my first choice wouldn’t look pretty…thanks a lot! =)

19. Chrissy B

Having a Cinderella wedding in Dec.2010 can’t seem to decide on favors for the wedding. Please help!

Thanks

20. [email protected]

Hi Brides,
    Here is a new board with the bride in Cinderella blue.

21. Mother of the Bride

Any suggestions on where to find a giant storybook guest book?

22. Debi

:thinking:
    Im trying to figure what kind of centerpiece should i do for a Cinderlla Theme. Its for my daughter 15teen, its in Sept. of 2011, Can someone pls help w/ ideas, pics. I thought of doing pumpkins for centerpieces, then I thought about the pumpkin carriages…????? not sure what to do…her colors are a baby blue, silver, & white…If anyone can help with their Ideas.

tks…
    Debi

• Samantha

Hi Debi.

I had planned a september wedding last year and I had the carvable pumpkins that are made from the hard foam. I got stencils and carved the pumpkins and put one of those battery operated tealight candles in them. I had added a photo so you can see.

Debi,
        I have used the glitter pumpkin on this site before but thought I would share again.
        * pic
        * and some white pumpkins

• Debi

😀

Thank Stacey for your pic and for your reply…

tks so much… :clapclap:

• Debi

😀

Hi Samantha…thanks for the reply…and the details helped me so much..one more thing can you tell me how early you were able to buy the pumpkins? Or did you have to wait closer to Halloween time. also where did you buy the pumpkins from…

again tks for the pic & the info.. :cheer:

Debi

• Samantha

Debi,

I purchased the pumpkins I believe they were out either the end of July or Beginning of August. The fall things are out really early. I bought the pumpkins from AC Moore, Michael’s, and Joann’s. I am not sure what stores are around your area.

• Debi

:clapclap:
        thank u so much….for your help…Yes, I have a Michael’s, Hobby Lobby, …I live in Houston Tx

again thank you so much…

Debi :cheer:

• Debi

💡
        omg….

Thank you so much…they are very….very ..pretty….

23. LaSharra

Can anyone help me out with ideas as to how to have my cake decorated? I’m having a 4 tier heart shaped cake with a castle cake topper. Since my theme is fairy tale I’m not sure what I can put on the cake to make it POP. And its also not a stacked cake, the teirs are seperated by columns. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks 😕

LaSharra,
      * pics to browse
      * more pics

• LaSharra

Thanks Stacey the pics were a big help!!! :cheer:

24. [email protected]

heh guys,
    I made a vintage cinderella board, hoping it might inspire someone!

25. lilly

hi everyone,

i’ll be having my wedding on february 2011 and i still can’t decide on the best motiff colors….i do know i’d like a modern cinderella theme…classy and elegant….does hot pink and silver sound ok? with lots of crystals for decorations? please help! thanks :mrgreen:

Lilly,
      Hot pink and silver is a very nice combo and perfect for a fairytale wedding.
      * pics
      * check this wedding out!!

* more ideas
        * more weddings

* look at the chairs
        * really pretty
        * WOW!!

* love the feathers

Hope these help!

• lilly

wow…they were really helpful…thnx stacey! =) will be incorporating these to my ideas…if you have any more ideas please let me know…thnx! :mrgreen:

26. lilly

hi stacey,

i’m planning on having a modern cinderella theme for my wedding…its going to be on february 2011 so hopefully i still have time…. i really want the cinderella theme to come across but i don’t want it to be too classic…i want an edge to it….i think hot pink would be my main color but i’m not really sure what other color combinations would go best with it….other than black….any ideas? thanks! =)

27. Krystal

Nothing is set in stone but I know I want a fairytale wedding. I want it to be nice but not too expensive. Samanthia I loved the pumpkin centerpieces. How did u do that.

Krystal,
      What color is your venue? I am thinking hot pink and orange would really work here. it is a bold color combo that would work so well with pumpkins. Could I see a pic or link to the venue to see what would work best?
      * look at these
      * LOVE this one

krystal,
        * got to look at this

Lilly,
        My apologies but the comment to Crystal was for you! 😳

• lilly

hi stacey,

no prob….thanks again for the posts…they’re very helpful…i’d like my venue to be draped with white all over (ceiling and walls) with accents of pink and crystals…and maybe some faint pink lights…whatchathnk? 😀

Lilly,
        I think that would be very beautiful.

Lilly,
        * look at some of the decor
        * more pics of the wedding

* xtra pic

* found some more stuff

28. [email protected]

Fairytale Brides,
    I decided to make a wedding board for a Cinderella Destination Wedding. I chose khaki and crisp white as the base. Pulling in fuschia and yellow as floral accents. I wanted to keep it fairytale romantic by choosing a tabelscape that has chiffon table line overlays draping to the floor. I can see this wedding in a grassy area by the beach. Like renting out a tropical estate. Favors should be local treats also wrapped in flowy fabric and tied with a simple ribbon adding a dangling pink jewel from the ribbon. Have arch with billowy curtains and hanging crystal garlands, let the green of the setting shine through with only a floral aisle of white rose petals.

Fairytale brides,
      Or use the simple urns full of the colorful flowers like in the board and have billowy fabric tied to the base of urns and puddle to the ground the wind will gently blow it for an etheral effect.

29. Kirsti

I am having a fairytale wedding I am getting married June 5th 2010 so not long left. I have pretty much everything but I want to do the rose in the glass dome from beauty and the beast for the top table.Any ideas where I can find one or if you have any ideas on how to make one. I live in the UK.

Kirsti,
      * scroll down for pic with hourglass vase.
      * you could also do this version in a very slender glass vase with a rose under a glass dome.

Kirsti,
        that way the rose would be in water and would last longer. I would do a trial run on this under the glass dome because of the heat of being closed off. It might be easier to have groupings of gorgeous roses in single glass vases for centerpieces and have one main dome globe over a rose ( you may be able to get away with a artificial rose here as long as it is silk) at a main focal point. Think large glass dome and larger rose.

30. nita

hi stacey i can see u are very helpful in ideas for weddings.been reading ur post and they are always helpful.am having my wedding in aug 7 2010 my colours are royal blue and silver i need decor advise

Nita,
      * here are some pics
      * this is nice, I love the flower colors that play off the blue and silver. You could have a cinderalla wedding cake, add glass slippers to the tables.

Nita,
        * tablescape

Another idea is use silver linens for a rich sheen then do centerpieces of blue. If you could have white or matte silver linens then put a sheer white or cream topper ( even with a royal looking pattern) then add candelabras for centerpieces and blue florals that would work well.

Nita,
        * this is nice

Nita,
        * your gonna love using this site. You can search category by color.

• nita

thanks stacey but can i get a lot more of the decor ideas like for the reception. am in ghana and might not get the cinderalla glass slippers. i would be grateful if i can get bridal party ideas as well am using 6 little girls all less than 10years old

Nita,
        * reception pic
        * this is simple, elegant, and perfect for your color scheme

• nita

hi stacey its been a while. i was thinking of adding green to the royal blue.what do u think and please check if u can get any decor pics

Nita,
        Wow! that is striking!
        * here are some more pics

Nita,
        * this is beautiful

* on this page is margi and ryan wedding, it is breathtaking, can use green linens if choose too

Nita,
        I think if your using these colors and you want it to look fairytale-like. Then the last wedding is how I would decorate, it has that boldness of the color scheme yet a romance about it. It will compliment the pics you posted nicely!